One thing is for sure: Life is crazy right now. While our daily routines have been wiped out, fabulous hair doesn’t have to go with it.
If this is your first time, it’s ok – we got you. Read on to learn how to color your hair at home with helpful tips for getting great coverage and a radiant shine. Plus, fewer chemicals than those“other” brands that make you wish you would have done this outside.
So ready your supplies; its time to give yourself a little self-pampering with Naturtint permanent hair color.
You Are Resourceful
Don’t fret if you’re used to going to the salon to get your color done…today, the best stylist in the house is you.
Be bold! Have Fun! And remember, #quarantime is giving everyone a little bit of space to be less than perfect if anything goes awry.
Finding Your Perfect Shade
stay in the 2-shade range:
If you are searching for the color that looks most natural on you, stick with one or two shades darker or lighter than your natural hair color. This range will typically match your skin tone best.
2 easy tests worth their weight in gold:
Once you have your shade picked out, don’t skip two easy tests: The skin sensitivity test, and the color test…you will thank us later. You can find easy step-by-step instructions for these two essential preliminary steps here. When you pass these tests with flying colors, it’s time to get started!
One more thing: Don’t test on a single strand of hair. Instead, separate out a lock of hair to test. Also, you don’t need to mix the whole kit for your test, just a bit will do! Check your hair color kit for specific instructions on how to conduct the strand test.
You Are Ready!
Naturtint makes it easy to get started with everything you need in the box. Just follow the steps below for a smooth process and beautiful, healthy hair. When you’re done, your hair will have that radiant shine you thought you could only get from the salon! Even better, you’ll save a bunch of money by doing it yourself.
- Wear the gloves provided in the kit through the whole process to avoid transferring color tint to your skin.
- Use old towels (around your shoulders, around the floor where you’re applying the color) to make sure these surfaces don’t get stained.
- Make sure you have enough. Usually, one kit is enough for average shoulder-length hair. If your hair is long or thick, you might need two boxes of Naturtint hair color.
- Take off the lids of the colorant and color developer.
– Pour the Colorant into the Color Developer bottle and replace the cap.
– Shake the bottle for two minutes until the mixture is completely blended.
Now you’re gloved up, covered up and shaken up, it’s time to color up! If this is your first time coloring your hair or you’re coloring your full head, you need to:
- Apply the mixture to the roots using the tip of the bottle to part your hair into sections.
- Massage the mixture through the remaining hair. Make sure to spread the color evenly!
- Leave on for about 30 minutes- your hair is unique, so you may need to adjust timing based on your strand test results.
- If your roots are much lighter than the ends of your hair, or the ends of your hair are dry or damaged, you may need to follow the next instructions.
How to Dye Short Hair (or just your Roots)
If you have short hair or you’re only doing maintenance on your roots:
- If you have a bowl and brush (typically found at any beauty supply store) pour your required amount of colorant and developer into the plastic mixing bowl, and mix until well blended. Otherwise you can simply use the color developer bottle for application.
- Apply enough mixture to cover your roots.
- Massage the mixture in and leave on for 20 minutes (30 for those stubborn grays!)
- Massage the remaining mixture through the rest of your hair, and leave on another five to 10 minutes.
NOTE: If you want a little more intense color or if your grays are particularly stubborn, you can increase the time on your roots to a maximum of 40 minutes. Once your timer goes off, it’s time to rinse.
- Simply rinse in warm water until the water in the shower runs clear.
- Apply the supplied Naturtint Color Fixing Shampoo to cleanse and put back in some moisture. Gently lather, and rinse.
- Get any extra moisture out of your hair and then apply your Naturtint Protective Conditioner to help detangle your hair and give that shine a boost. Leave in for two to five minutes before rinsing.
- The final touch: Naturtint CC Cream. After towel drying, massage a tiny bit of the cream throughout the length of your hair, especially those ends, then comb through, leaving it in to lock in that color and moisture. After that, you can dry and style as you usually would.
How To Nail the Look You Want
Ask any stylist and they will tell you: when using box color, only go two shades lighter or darker than your natural color. This has everything to do with your skin tone and what will best suit it. Want more details? Check out our blog on How to choose your perfect hair color!
While not for the hair coloring newbie, experienced home colorists and daring first-timers like to get creative. With a custom combination of two or more colors, you can create a totally unique signature look. Remember to choose colors that compliment. Your color choices should support one another, not try to dominate one another. Please remember this is not for the faint of heart and can also yield some funky results if done incorrectly!
For a professional’s opinion on what shade is best for you or for personalized help mixing colors, contact one of our Naturtint Color Specialists. We are working from home and helping customers everywhere with customized guidance for their coloring goals!